Welcome to the Beaver Den

Ride a motorcycle and have an attitude? Has the word "bitch" occasionally been directed your way? Is your other cycle a "menstrual cycle"? Perhaps you've come to the right place...

Oh yeah, men are welcome too....

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jerk on a Harley

I have been riding a long time. I will almost always wave, because I usually feel bad "dissing" anybody. I will especially wave to people that look like they've built their own bikes, went out of their way to ride something original, or have traveled a long way, no matter the make.

However, when making a little jaunt around the city or a short trip out of town, I get tired of this full-on wave thing to "Sunday drivers". I don't care if you are on an American made bike, a German made bike or some plastic piece-of-shit I want to throw up on. I find waving every 15 seconds grows tiresome. Especially, on a 90 degree day, if the "bikers" are clad entirely in new shiny leather, a full-face helmet with a NASA-like two-way radio system so they can chat on their 50 mile ride. Not to mention if they went to their dealership and bought everything brand-name from pants and shirts to socks, belts and underwear so everyone can be sure to know they're "bikers".

Sure a few of these people put thousands and thousands of miles on every year sporting their logo enhanced gear, but a good majority of them are weekend warriors riding between ice-cream shops and I just don't have a fucking thing in common with any of them. Frankly, I feel like I'm waving to the enemy.

To me being an American is embracing the full-on, guts-and-glory mentality of the people that first came to America. They didn't wear helmets. Can you see John Wayne wearing a helmet? Or Sitting Bull? George Washington? Stonewall Jackson? Perhaps if they'd had them, but it sure as hell didn't stop them.

Yes, yes, I get the whole dying on the asphalt, invalid, statistics thing. But when I see those people all "safety-upped" riding around, they just somehow strike me as sooo un-American. Its almost as if they are spitting on the Constitution.
And sometimes I just can't wave.

1 comment:

  1. I too have felt like you do at times. Being in Canada we do not have the population issue to deal with that you do in the US.

    Waving to people of like mind is all about a sense of family and belonging. It is hard to want to wave - treat as family - someone you do not feel holds the same core beliefs as you do.

    ReplyDelete